What a blessing it has been to be a part of Deep: A Bible Study Conference! Thank you to all those who came out to join us and Heartfelt Ministries for this amazing time in God’s Word. I pray that you left encouraged and empowered to go “Deeper Still” in your walk with the Lord.
Together we examined John 17:17, “Sanctify them by the truth. Your word is truth.” Below is a recap of the steps you can use to get the most out of your time in God’s Word.
Bible Study Tools for Your Everyday Life:
- LOOK ~ What do I see when I answer these questions:
- Who? Jesus is praying to God the Father
- What? Jesus is praying for His disciples after He has comforted them with His final words of encouragement (ending with John 16:33)
- When and Where? After the Passover dinner/Before His arrest
- Why? Because He loves the disciples and He knows what is about to take place (His crucifixion)
- LISTEN ~ What is God telling me through His Word?
- Context: What comes before and after the passage?
- The disciples have obeyed, accepted, and believed the Word of God. Jesus asks for protection of the disciples from the evil one. They are not of the world, but they are being sent into the world for the sake of the gospel.
- Content: Examine each word
- “Sanctify” is hagiazo which means “to be set apart” or “to be holy as God is holy”
- “Truth” is a repeated word relating to the disciples’ sanctification and the Father’s Word
- “Word” is given by the Father and spoken by Jesus
- Compare to other Scriptures
- John 14:6, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” Jesus is the Truth!
- John 1:1, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” Jesus is the Word!
- Culture: Then vs. Now
- Jesus (the Word) was physically with the disciples
- Today we have God’s written Word, the Bible
- New American Commentary on John 17:17, “Truth is here related to the word (logos) of God. But truth and the word in John are not merely ideas. They are to be embodied in people the same way that the word became flesh. Since God is holy, God’s people are to be holy.”
- LIVE IT!
- How does this truth apply to my everyday life?
- I must accept God’s Word as the ultimate truth in my life
- I need to have the discipline to set apart time to read God’s Word daily
- I should allow His Word to sanctify me (to make me holy as He is holy)
- What one thing can I implement today in order to shine the light of Christ?
- Facilitate a Bible Study
- Start a Scripture memorization group
- Host a worship night in my home
Online Bible Study Tools:
My favorite apps that I mentioned are The Holy Bible app by YouVersion, She Reads Truth, and Superbook for kids.
What are your favorite Bible study tools? Please comment below.